A bit of everything. Many sides of my life reflecting a lot of personalities

Monday, May 26, 2008

Ugly


Ugly by Constance Briscoe

Astonishing and captivating book. Love it. I would give this book a very high rate.

Basically the book is an autobiography. A story about a daughter, who was abused by her own mother for 19 years. She even named her ugly. She abused her in a way that I could not imagine a mom can do. Constance still has scares from the old day (all over her body, even knife marks, scars on head, breast, back, etc). She even left her starving alone in house. She gave her the same christmas present every year (she stole it and repackage it for the next year). New shoes, dress, ribbon, accesories, forget about those things. She never got those from her mom. But she stood up, working hard to reach her dream to become a barrister, which she made it.

An inspiring book although a bit sad, but still inspiring, motivating, and show that, in every darkness situation, there is always a ray of hope. The only thing who can stop you in getting out of the darkness is yourself. The only thing who can hinder you to achieve your dream is yourself.

Damn. I was reading too fast. I finished this book in 2 days (433 pages). And it was not even 2 days full reading, cause I have been only reading the book, while I am in the subway(tube) or in the bathroom. Sight there goes my money for only couple of hours reading. Nevertheless I enjoy the book. I have trained myself to read fast, due to my job and my time spare.... I can read books in a short time....

2 comments:

Silly said...

WAWWWW...

I'm speechless... Gila, pasti bukunya keren banget. Ahhh, I wish I could buy that book oneday. SAyang, pasti di Indonesia belum ada yach.

Saya juga suka baca buku2nya Paulo Coelho.. inspiring juga lohhh... Bagus banget. Di blog gue ada link ke blog dia kok.

Baca2 dech, kamu psti suka.

Duhhh, buku ituuu, berapa sich? (sedang berfikir untuk menitipkan pada saudara kalo ada yg pulang ke Indo)

Anonymous said...

you should read sybill. Love that book. or have u read it?

And yes i agree with silly. Paulo coelho is quite inspiring. try "veronica decides to die". Cool. u will learn how to be a bit insane to stay sane. :D